Monday, March 26, 2007

the 60s - woodstock and moonlanding

here are a couple more altered book pages that i did in a "retro" round robin, where people had to choose topics from the 50s, 60s, and/or 70s. well, this book's theme was "things i remember from the 60s". that was a little tough for me, since i was born in november 1965!

but, 2 things stuck out in the 60s for me specifically -- woodstock and the moonlanding. for different reasons, of course, but who can answer for what a kid remembers and why?

i remember woodstock mostly because my parents wouldn't let me see anything on the news or on television about it. suddenly when a topic becomes taboo -- it becomes really interesting! so, i wanted to see more about it just because i wasn't supposed to see it!!!

this page is made w/ a 12 x 12 piece of scrapbook paper w/ flowers as the background. pictures found on the internet and printed off become the main part of the page. sticker letters were used down the left margin to spell out "woodstock". mod podge was use to glue all items down. no final finish was put on the page.


the other main event that i remembered of the 60s was the moonlanding. it wasn't a positive experience for me, either. i was 3 1/2 years old and more interested in watching cartoons than watching a man in a marshmellow suit bounce across the surface of the moon. especially after they had shown the same news clips several times!!!

this page was done using a 12 x 12 piece of scrapbook paper w/ a red, white, and blue flag design on it. i printed out a picture of the moon landing on white tissue paper and then used mod podge to glue that down on top of the "flag paper". i knew that the white tissue would allow the patriotic theme from the background to come through, so it had a really neat look to the whole page overall. no final finish was put on this page.


it's amazing as i look through these old pieces of artwork that i traded off and realize that i really wish i had these back. i think i'm going to have to start an altered book of my own and just keep all my stuff in it!

4 Comments:

Blogger laserone_ said...

Oh what beautiful pages. I should get my mom to do this kind of thing with me. My mom was pregnant w/ me when the moon landing happened. My oldest sister (there's quite an age diff. between me and the rest of my siblings) ran away to go to woodstock when she was 15 or so. :) This journal page is beautiful.

Tue Mar 27, 01:07:00 AM CDT  
Blogger caseytoussaint said...

These are wonderful - what a great way to make art. It's all new to me, and I tend to stick to means of expression that lie in my comfort zone. It's a lot of fun perusing your books though!

Thu Mar 29, 08:03:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jill, These pages and the American Pie/Elton John pages are so awesome! I was born in '55, so those are very much in my memory. You did a terrific job of capturing the atmosphere of the times. Crazy, wonderful times....
:)

Thu Mar 29, 03:55:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Dawn said...

Jill, I've had the same thoughts about wishing I had kept some of the altered dictionary and book pages that I've traded off. A couple of my favorites I made myself copies of while I still had the materials handy. I'm glad I did and just wish I had done more of the copies.

Fri Mar 30, 07:20:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home