Thursday, February 24, 2011

IF - layer - 2/18/2011

a page from my personal calendar, which i am trying to focus on drawing things in that have to do w/ life or w/ my interests. this is my entry for http://www.illustrationfriday.com/ for the 2/18 topic of "layer."

i really enjoy the challenge of illustration friday, where interested parties are typically sent a 1-word prompt and encouraged to illustrate it. the topic is completely open to interpretation. the completely different responses to these prompts just show how differently our minds work. i always try to throw out the first few ideas, figuring these will be something that everyone else will think of. i would like mine to be individual or at least not look like i was caught in a rut or mooching someone else's ideas! plus, i don't look at other postings until after mine is completed!

this week, i've been home w/ a lot of papers to grade, a couple days of flu bug, and a continual desire to work on my personal health and weight loss. these overwhelming ideas were bumping around in the creative stages w/ the prompt of "layers". plus, i LOVE to watch cooking shows, so i'm sure that's where the layer cake came from !

the idea here is that m-m-m-m, those lovely layer cakes could lead to extra layers on a woman's body, that would in turn lead to layered clothing to hide the layers of fat on the body. in my mind, they all seemed relatedl

this drawing was done w/ a green ink pen and takes up about 1/2 a day space in my personal calendar. maybe it will help me keep my mind on making better eating choices, avoiding those things that are not helping me, and the new little stamp can help me record my exercise routine.

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wonderful interpretation! I love it!

Fri Feb 25, 11:17:00 AM CST  
Blogger Cathy Holtom said...

I like the idea, and I agree it's best to resist the temptation to look at other interpretations until yours is done.

Fri Feb 25, 03:06:00 PM CST  
Blogger Elizabeth Golden said...

Love this page. I eat "right" for a week or two then reward myself with a little treat. Like a piece of cake, a recipe that brings back memories, comfort food. That way the eating right and exercise make me feel good.
I love illustration Friday. The prompts are great. I love your interpretation.

Sat Feb 26, 12:00:00 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks very much for sharing, Jill. I enjoyed looking at your blogs, both at your artwork and at your writing. I had forgotten about "Ilustration Friday", but I've put that on my to-do list for today. I want to learn to draw and don't get to it often enough!

kristi

Sat Feb 26, 05:21:00 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Sat Feb 26, 05:21:00 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Sat Feb 26, 05:22:00 PM CST  
Blogger nanke's stuff said...

What a creative interpretation of the word. Well done! nancy

Sat Feb 26, 08:40:00 PM CST  
Blogger Mersea said...

That is a great interpretation of the word layered! I have been trying to lose weight every since I finished chemo - that will layer a person because of the steroids that have to be taken. I became a vegetarian and have lost some weight, unfortunately after a few months I have begun to crave certain foods, don't give in for the most part, and I power/race/speed walk which at times is so fast that I am prolly actually running or jogging. I've lost 15 lbs, but having just got home from a pet sitting I'm afraid to get on the scales, sometimes there aren't enough good foods but plenty of GOOD foods....

Thu Feb 09, 09:09:00 AM CST  
Blogger Unknown said...

I really like this drawing. Its both personal and amusing. I also respect the fact that you are tossing your first ideas for an illustration topic and diving into your psyche for inspiration. That is a skill I think a lot of people overlook. FYI, on the topic of weight loss I just discovered a great website www.sparkpeople.com check out my blog sometime www.barbararoth.blogspot.com

Sun Feb 12, 01:10:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home