Monday, January 24, 2011

cultivate your garden

this is another piece in my randomly painted and arranged composition notebook for journaling. when i'm ready to work on something, i flip through and find a page or color that inspires me and begin.

jerry and i have been spending lots of hours and money in gardening for the last few years. we are striving to get better as we get bigger. we have plenty of improvements to make, but this quote from literature came to mind. we all have "gardens" to "cultivate" regardless of what we do in life. i think this means that we can always make our lives and ourselves better and make connections where we are.

this page starts w/ a painted background, the drawing done w/ fat prang colored pencils, and then a white paint pen used to put white petals on the flowers. in this drawing, i tried to use white on the flower petals to bring out the brightness/lightness of color rather than using darker colors to focus on the darkness and shadow. this page has been sprayed w/ kumar spray fixative to protect the colored pencil from smearing. i started this picture in 10/09, but didn't complete it to my satisfaction until 6/10.

21 Comments:

Blogger Pamela McCarville said...

I'm not very good at gardening, but I love them. I also love your background pattern. Very nice spread.

Tue Jan 25, 08:52:00 AM CST  
Blogger Janene said...

this is a fun page. I like the contrast between the large sunflower and the delicate background flowers.

Tue Jan 25, 08:55:00 AM CST  
Anonymous Adine said...

This is a delightful page!

Tue Jan 25, 09:25:00 AM CST  
Blogger PaulineC said...

A great page. I love it!

Tue Jan 25, 11:06:00 AM CST  
Blogger Cathy Holtom said...

Lovely colours and a 'happy' feeling!

Tue Jan 25, 01:01:00 PM CST  
Blogger A Little Bit of Me-Time said...

This is so pretty, you have definitely inspired me to 'play' with flowers in my journal!
Michelle

Tue Jan 25, 06:03:00 PM CST  
Blogger Brian said...

Very nice: it looks a bit like an illuminated manuscript!

Tue Jan 25, 09:02:00 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jill - I love the posts! The sunflower is my favorite, I think. :)

Thanks for sharing!
Carol

http://ccreechstudio.blogspot.com/
http://www.zazzle.com/ccreech21*
http://www.ccreechstudio.com/

Tue Jan 25, 10:12:00 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jill - I love the posts! The sunflower is my favorite, I think. :)

Thanks for sharing!
Carol

Wed Feb 02, 09:04:00 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jill,

Thanks for sharing your art work with us. Those are beautifully decorated
journals.

Janet

Wed Feb 02, 09:30:00 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice! You have been busy!

christy

Wed Feb 02, 09:35:00 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your artwork Jill. Gave me a nice "feel good" feeling.

Jennifer

Thu Feb 03, 12:16:00 AM CST  
Blogger Reflections said...

Wonderful representation of 'cultivate'... and wonderful reminders that we need to cultivate many things in life, including relationships.

Fri Mar 18, 08:55:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Indigene said...

Wonderful design! I love playing in the dirt, hopefully something grows is my mantra! :)

Sun Mar 20, 07:07:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is a really nice page. I'm glad you went back to finish it!

Sun Mar 20, 11:36:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Nona said...

I love your pages.

I seem very good at killing all things living and green, though I wish I could keep a garden.

Just lately my own "inner garden" could use some tlc too.

Sun Mar 20, 11:50:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello Jill,

You said 'please drop by and see it and/or leave a comment!' so I thought 'What a good idea!'
So here I am and I'm so glad I did.
Lovely artwork Jill.

Stew.
elasticunicorn.blogspot.com

Sun Mar 20, 03:04:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Alex said...

such a beautiful and warm page. Love the earthy colors

Sun Mar 20, 03:29:00 PM CDT  
Blogger bettyfromtexas said...

A rich and vibrant interpretation!

Sun Mar 20, 05:22:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice, Jill. Great 2 pages.
Donn
http://www.flickr.com/photos/waysidejourney (art)
http://alongthewayside.blogspot.com/ (art)

Mon Mar 21, 07:12:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Coreopsis said...

I totally agree with this idea. I love gardening, but I agree about having gardens of all sorts to cultivate. I wish my son would realize that that's what he needs to be doing in his life--cultivating his gardens.

Wed Mar 23, 05:45:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home