Monday, October 02, 2006

page painting technique

i had the urge to paint the other night and work in a comp journal, but didn't really have a plan of what to do. i decided to take my paints and my journals to my night job and work on painting some pages so they would be ready to work on.

unlike some people in my groups, i can't seem to plan ahead and paint the page in the morning w/ the intention of journaling on it that night. i like to have several pages painted ahead, flip open my book and find a color i want to work on or will work well w/ my topic, and go from there.

the other problem i have is getting paint on other pages, the back of the page i'm painting on, or various other places that it shouldn't be. as i was putting plastic down on my work area to begin painting, i realized that i should put my whole journal into a small trash bag, cut a slit to pull a couple pages through, and then paint could only get on those 2 pages.

pull the pages through that i'm going to paint on and leave the rest of the book protected inside the plastic bag.

now, clean white pages ready for painting. with 4 books set up this way, painting pages went really fast. i could put the paint on, go do a couple things for work, come back and switch pages to paint, and paint some more. it also helped that the work table i was using for painting was located right under and AC vent -- so pages dried very quickly, too.

overall, i was pretty happy w/ my idea of painting my pages while protecting my books. i couldn't decide if i had thought of something other people hadn't thought of OR if it was so obvious that everyone but me had already thought of it!

anyway, that's the news on painting journal pages here. i'm working on getting a bunch of pages painted so i can just have fun on doing journal pages then.

11 Comments:

Blogger Bonny said...

Jill this is SUCH a great idea!!! I hadn't heard of anyoone protecting their journal pages this way; I think it's great! It would work well for when you glue photos or artwork or ribbon or whatever... and you need to use something stronger and wetter than a glue stick.
Thanks for sharing!

Tue Oct 03, 11:56:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Ujwala Prabhu said...

this one's a keeper coz i tend to be messy. thanks for sharing :D

Wed Oct 04, 03:33:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an awesome idea! I will definitely be trying it because I tend to do the exact same thing as you...get paint on the next page...even if it's just a little bit, which really irks me! Thanks for sharing this brilliant idea!

Penny in Orlando

Wed Oct 04, 06:29:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

brilliant idea - thanks for sharing!

Wed Oct 04, 06:31:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Gina said...

Oooooh, great idea! I'm definitely going to try this, thanks!

Wed Oct 04, 01:33:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful idea! I knew there had to be a better way than my messy way, but.... Thanks!

PS--I live in Topeka--not terribly far from you.

Wed Oct 04, 03:19:00 PM CDT  
Blogger suzanne cabrera said...

Wow, what ingenuity! Perhaps you should market it!

Wed Oct 04, 04:55:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Robyn said...

Just yesterday I received a composition book that had been changed into a lovely journal from a Swap-bot swap partner. As an Aussie, this is my first introduction to the US version of what we call exercise books. Thank you for this great hint for making my new journal even more cheerful. I am going to use it to write about things I am grateful for. I don't want to spoil such a nice gift with moans and groans.

Wed Oct 04, 07:44:00 PM CDT  
Blogger pedalpower said...

What a wonderful idea! I love the fact that you have a job where you can combine this kind of personal creativity with your work!

Sun Oct 08, 07:08:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great solution. I like the page with the green and the little scene in the center very much!

Mon Oct 09, 06:03:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Kali said...

Hi Jill,

I'm reading some of your older posts (I found you via purpleink). I think this is a marvelous idea. I will be trying this on for size very soon.

Namate,
Kali

Thu Feb 22, 11:42:00 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home