Monday, September 18, 2006

another beautiful sunrise

another in my growing collection of beautiful sunrises and sunsets. this is a farm scene silhouetted against the rising sun that i often enjoy seeing on my way to work. on this cool, crisp morning, i decided to stop and snap a few shots of it.
unfortunately, those ugly distracting power lines in the forefront really detract from the picture. so i cropped the picture to get rid of those and force the focus on the tree and barn and bins against the rising sun. as i studied the picture more, though, i saw that there were power lines in the far background, but just in the lines of the tree and barn and bins.
by enlarging the picture to work on individual pixels, i touched out the power lines by using the eye dropper tool to match the paint to the color nearest the lines. it was a slow process, but the more i worked on it, the more sure i was that i wanted those lines out of there.
with the power lines out, the farm against the rising sun set a clean silhouette that i thought was just beautiful. i used this print to have postcards made for my september postcard swap, so if you're on my list -- this picture will be arriving soon.
next, i wanted to shift the focus from the overall scene to the beautiful old tree on the left. i recropped the picture to just include the tree and part of the old barn, and i think it turned out very well. it certainly changes the feeling of the picture for me.

i love traveling around and looking at old barns/houses/churches. i find them fascinating in the history that they have to tell.

5 Comments:

Blogger emhowl said...

These just glow, quite wonderful. It's also interesting to see them in the UK, with a different history!

Wed Sep 20, 04:47:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Lin said...

I DO SO LOVE THIS, Jill!!! I can see this on a postcard or calendar!! GLORIOUS!

Wed Sep 20, 07:14:00 AM CDT  
Blogger picklesandroses.blogspot.com said...

Beautiful sunrise photos. Might even inspire me to get up early and look.

Wed Sep 20, 08:23:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Robyn said...

That there is my postcard!!!! I can see it very clearly without the barcode thingies! I didn't realise that is one of your own photos when it arrived. You are so clever. The photos are stunning!

(But I still don't want to be up that early in the morning! :-) )

Wed Sep 27, 03:05:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! You do awesome work! I so want to learn how to use my camera. Maybe I will have to talk to our Photo Manager at work and see if she is still willing to teach me.

I just LOVE how you took one photo and made it look beautiful in so many other perspectives too!

Thanks for sharing this photo. I'm gonna go check out more of your work.

Lisa

Wed Oct 04, 08:56:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home