Thursday, December 08, 2005

"blue" -- illustration friday topic -- 12/02/05



"blue" -- illustration friday topic -- 12/02/05 -- #567 on www.illustrationfriday.com

this week's topic of "blue" reminded me of someone who is experiencing disappointment and feeling left out and dejected. here is a picture that i drew (in all blue) of raven, my granddaughter, as she was dealing with the fact that she had to go to bed and the rest of us were staying up. she wasn't crying and she wasn't throwing a fit -- she was just "blue" because she was left out of any thing that we might do after she had to go to bed. until about 3 months ago, raven and her mother still lived at home at my house, so raven would often get to stay up later w/ me. we would rock in the rocking chair or snuggle up on the couch and watch tv or read a book. now we lay on the floor and color together. we're just special friends because "memaw" has more time and more patience than mommy does -- as is the case w/ most grandmas and mommies!

the picture was done w/ prang colored pencil (dark blue) and blended w/ a puffs plus tissue b/c of that smooth, soft look the blending has. sprayed w/ matte finish when completed to protect from accidental "blending".

9 Comments:

Blogger Nita Van Zandt said...

This turned out nice! Gentle contours. Her distant leg was pulled up a little? A bit of shading in the knee crease would show that.

BTW, I'm a native Kansan, growing up in Wichita. We'll be there at New Year's!

Thu Dec 08, 10:45:00 AM CST  
Blogger Teri said...

Oh JIll, how precious! I love this done in blue. You captured the stance so well.

And I haven't heard memaw in a long time. My brother in Indiana grands call his wife that.

Thu Dec 08, 10:51:00 AM CST  
Blogger Ramesh Gandhi said...

How tender this is - lovely.

Thu Dec 08, 11:04:00 AM CST  
Blogger Felicity Grace said...

Lovely drawing and a sweet subject! Thanks for your kind words Jill (I'm just a one trick pony, I only do pencil!)

Thu Dec 08, 11:44:00 AM CST  
Blogger Tony Sarrecchia said...

Very sweet.

Thu Dec 08, 07:16:00 PM CST  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Hi Jill!
Thanks for stopping by my blog!
I think you are VERY in tune to how Raven was feeling!!!
I glad to hear things are going well for you. I hope you and your fiance have a wonderful holiday season!

Thu Dec 08, 10:18:00 PM CST  
Blogger Lindsay said...

this is lovely. So tender and well done!

Sat Dec 10, 05:05:00 AM CST  
Blogger soulbrush said...

what a darling little pumpkin she is, and love the art. my new grand is 5 months old, ain't they so sweet??? do you do atcs and swap/trade them?

Sat Jul 04, 03:16:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Reba said...

A different kind of cheeks but still fits the topic! Great Post.

Tue Jul 07, 05:30:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home